In 2009, the Ministry of Health combined the National Drug Unit, Counseling & Psychological Services and Psychiatric Services; to create an integrated treatment approach to psychological and psychiatric needs of the Turks and Caicos Islands. As a reflection of this merge, the Department was given the name Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence.
The Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence (DMHSD) functions as the Turks and Caicos Islands central authority for mental health and substance use disorders. In collaboration with other government departments and community agencies, DMHSD provides services and support to persons of all ages, who live with mental illness, emotional disturbance, or substance use disorders.
DMHSD envisions Mental Health and Substance Dependence as one of the main cornerstones of health in the Turks and Caicos Islands. All residents will live in caring communities, where there is compassion for and a determination to respond effectively and respectfully to, their mental health needs. Everyone will have access to effective prevention, early intervention, and mental health and substance use disorder treatment and support as needed to achieve his / her full potential through meaningful social inclusion that is free from discrimination.
As the central authority on Mental Health and Substance Dependence in the Turks and Caicos Islands, it is DMHSD’s mission to provide access to comprehensive and quality services, and advocate for the mental health and substance use needs of individuals of all ages, enabling them to live, work and participate in their communities. DMHSD establishes standards to ensure effective care to promote recovery. It formulates policies, promotes self-growth / determination, protects human rights, and supports mental health and substance use disorder-related training and research. This critical mission is accomplished by working in partnership with other government agencies, civic groups, our clients/patients and their families, private service providers, and the wider community as a whole.
- Dr. Alicia Malcolm : Director
- Dr. Diana Dizon : Psychiatrist
- Dr. Patrick Prince : Clinical Psychologist
- Dr. Anya Malcolm-Gibbs : Clinical Psychologist
- Tania Allen : Senior Mental Health & Substance Abuse Counselor
- Tiara McTaire : Mental Health Education Specialist
- Paulette Castillo : Community Mental Health Nurse
- Maria Brown : Community Mental Health Nurse
- Kurt Chassang : Community Mental Health Nurse
- Stanley Been : Substance Abuse Counselor
- Claudia Seymour : Senior Administrative Officer
- Melissa Williams : Administrative Assistant
- Dr. Marilyn Godines-Capuz : Psychiatrist Zone 1
- Mrs. Kacy Higgs : Substance Abuse Counselor Zone 2