The Department of Environment and Coastal Resources (DECR) is mandated to ensure the sustainable use of the natural resources of the Turks and Caicos Islands and to protect and promote biodiversity and economic prosperity through a sustainable fisheries industry, environmentally sustainable development, a Protected Areas system and improved Maritime Affairs.
The Department of Environment and Coastal Resources (DECR) has the responsibility of sustainably managing Protected Areas and Fisheries and overseeing all Maritime Affairs in the Turks and Caicos Islands. The Department is further mandated to preserve and improve the quality of the environment and maritime affairs of the territory. Towards achieving this goal, all activities and policies are developed without compromising the integrity and the well-being of man and environment.
The Department sets policy to ensure that natural resources are used wisely and sensibly, towards achieving sustainable development.
“To ensure sustainable utilization of the natural resources of the Turks and Caicos Islands, and to protect and promote biodiversity and economic prosperity through a sustainable fishing industry and environmentally sustainable development, a protected areas system and improved maritime affairs”
- Mission Statement - Protected Areas Division
“To conserve, manage and enhance critical natural and historical resources of the Territory, through environmentally sustainable development and a protected area system that promotes knowledge, participation and stewardship by all for all”
- Mission Statement - Fisheries Division
“To protect and improve the fisheries through the effective management of fish stocks to promote economic prosperity”
- Mission Statement – Maritime Affairs
“To implement maritime laws and regulations for the safety and protection of mariners”
- Protect and improve the environment and conserve and enhance biodiversity within the territorial boundaries of the Turks and Caicos Islands and beyond, and to support government policies and international treaties and conventions towards sustainable development;
- To promote wise utilization and sustainable management of natural resources (e.g. fisheries and marine resources, mineral resources and the protected areas), with all stakeholders.
- To implement maritime laws and regulations for the safety and enjoyment of mariners in the Turks and Caicos Islands.