The drafting of a National Water and Sewerage Policy and modernization of the legal regulatory framework is being undertaken by The Ministry of Infrastructure, Housing and Planning. Since the commencement of the work in January of this year, the consultant met with several stakeholder groups, including water and sewerage services providers, on Grand Turk and Providenciales.
The main objectives are to:
- Ensure the long term availability and sustainability of water supply and the provision of safe water and sewerage services across the islands;
- Implementation of measures that contribute to the preservation and sustainability of waterways and coastal waters;
- Improve the quality of life and the protection of public health and the environment through effective management , accountability and oversight of service providers;
- Modernize the regulatory regime governing the water and sewerage sector across the TCI to improve compliance to established standards.
- Recommend the way forward for the Grand Turk Water Undertaking